Sunday, March 21, 2010

Food Revolution

Tonight I was patiently waiting (okay I am not a very patient person) for Brothers and Sisters to come on. I love that show, it is part of my Sunday night routine.
Instead of my regularly scheduled programming I got, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  The show is about Jamie Oliver (a fairly cute British chef) going to America's fattest town and trying to help them change their food habits, starting with school lunches. 
A couple of weeks ago I bought the movie Food Inc. and was left with a very unsettled feeling about what we eat as a family and even more so about what my kids eat.  That said I have yet to implement any crazy drastic changes to our food repetoire.  It is not that I don't want to (okay that is a lie, I love food and usually food that has little to no nutritional value) but it is hard.  It takes more work to be healthy.  It takes planning, it takes preparation, it takes me getting off my booty and doing something besides ordering pizza or stopping at the drive thru. 
I would like to think that I can begin to make changes to increase the health of my family and myself.  So my 1st plan of action is going to be to begin serving salad every day at my house.  For some in the house this won't be a big deal and they will actually be happy about it (Matt and Mike) for others (Zach and me) this will be a harder change to fully embrace.  Now Joey may be hit or miss you just never know.  So that is my pledge this week.  We are going to have our own Revolution.  One thing at a time we are going to change, some may stick some may not, but the family will hopefully in the end come out of this project healthier.

Hopefully Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution will help to inspire me and others to make the changes to increase the health of our children and even ourselves.

No comments: